Home  |  Sitemap  |  A A A
Church of the Holy Advent
Episcopal Church

Parish History / Archives

Please visit our Archive display at the Parish Hall!

 
Our History 
   
In 1873, local Anglicans were meeting in the Academy building (presently the Social Services Department) for services of worship.  On September 10th of that year, eighteen people from Clinton, Madison, and Westbrook constituted themselves as "...the Episcopal Society of the Holy Advent Church..."  Five days later they elected wardens and a vestry.  A building lot was purchased in March of 1874.  On June 10th, the Society was admitted into union with the Diocese of Connecticut as the Church of the Holy Advent and its first delegate was seated in convention.
 
By February of 1876, a second building lot was purchased.  Bishop Williams laid the cornerstone of the present church building on May 11th.  The building was first used for public services on the first Sunday of  Advent 1876, with formal opening services celebrated by Bishop Williams on April 18, 1877.  The building's consecration was delayed until July 8, 1880 as Canon law required that a $5,100 indebtedness for the church first be paid.
 
The parish has been served by full and part time rectors, full and part time deacons and divinity students from Berkeley Divinity School in New Haven.  When there were no trained people available, members of the parish led the services.  It is evident from the records of the parish's history that there has always been an earnest Christian commitment on the part of the Parish.

 ~~~

A more detailed early history, entitled AN ADVENTURE FOR GOD -
THE STORY OF THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY ADVENT
CLINTON, CONNECTICUT, 1873—1942

written in 1942 by Nelson R. Burr, PH.D.
on the occasion of the 65th anniversary of the opening of the church
can be found by clicking on the title above

  ~~~

We at Holy Advent are always thrilled when visiting clergy, even the Bishop, tell us what a unique and “very special place” our parish is. Its faith, its openness, its love and its warmth, these things that we so love about our church and its community we have grown to accept as routine. We are very thankful to be in such a special place where we can continually be reminded of God’s love for each of us, and we are very proud that it shows.
Information from the Parish Profile, 1998

 

     Read

Back from the brink: Holy Advent, Clinton

Restoration is physical as well as spiritual

the story of a recent time of restoration at Holy Advent
as published in the Good News - Winter 2009 - 2010